Our commitment to safety
With over 65 years of experience building and operating pipelines, TC Energy uses only the best materials and safety practices. From design and construction to operation and maintenance, we are committed to keeping Coastal GasLink and your communities safe. Here’s how:
- We use high-quality steel and welding techniques, also applying a corrosion-resistant coating to the pipeline.
- Additional precautions are taken when crossing a road or under waterways; precautions include using thicker-walled pipe and burying the pipeline deeper in areas of higher population.
- The proposed pipeline will be underground except at valve sites and compressor stations.
- All pipeline welds are inspected with ultrasonic inspection technology, in addition to using standard X-ray inspection tools.
- Before it’s operating, the integrity of the pipeline is tested beyond its maximum operating pressure.
Around the clock monitoring
- The pipeline is monitored 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. With satellite technology, sensors within the pipeline send data every five seconds to our state-of-the-art control centre. If low gas pressure is detected, the valves on the affected section close automatically and are evaluated by our team of highly trained professionals, assessing next steps.
- Staff and contractors are trained to know exactly what to do in the unlikely event of an emergency. We conduct regular exercises and collaborate with local emergency responders to ensure there is a coordinated response.
Ongoing maintenance and assessments
- From aerial patrols and on-the-ground assessments, we regularly inspect the route.
- An electronic tool called a smart PIG (pipeline inspection gauge) travels through the pipeline to evaluate its internal condition.
- A low-voltage electrical current called cathodic protection is applied to the pipe for protection from corrosion.
Your safety role
- The biggest risk to a pipeline is when a landowner or a contractor conducts unauthorized activity or excavation on the right-of-way. Always call before you dig!
We’re proud of our history and experience. TC Energy has been safely operating in B.C. for 50+ years.